Wednesday, September 3, 2014

DIY Banana Avocado Hair Smoothie Review

   In lieu of the colder months starting here in good ol' Iowa, I wanted to talk a bit about hair. Most of us begin to experience dryness(ugh), split ends(seriously, I am not getting another haircut), and extra fall out(Holy crap! Is this NORMAL?!) when the weather starts to edge on the cooler side of life. So I figured since I have chronicly dry hair ALL. THE. TIME!! I would give some things a go and let you know what I think. 
   First, let me share a bit of my hair history. I have dyed, processed, chopped, NOT chopped, blow dried, straightened, and curled with the best of them. I continuously dyed my hair from age 14 to 21 and at 21 I decided I was SO DONE with roots! So being as I was dying my dark blonde hair shades of red, dark brown and black... I had some damage to do... Literally. I went through 4 boxes of the absolutely dreadful smelling Color Oops to pull out the majority of the color, my hair was a nice orangy browny blonde(Thaty sexy hair color that every girl wants, right? Ha!) and then went to the salon to have highlights and a toner put in to correct the rest. Needless to say my hair was a little on the crispy side. But life went on and it seemed to heal and get better... 3 years later, you know what they say, when it rains, it pours. Getting older your hormones go a little crazy and you're skin, hair and nails start to dry up like a damn desert! Well mine did anyway, and unfortunately it doesn't look like it's going to change anytime soon. So, now that I've completely tortured you with loads of pull your teeth out reading, let's get to the fun!
BANANA AVACADO HAIR SMOOTHIE!
You will need:

One banana
Half of an avocado
1 tsp of vitamin E oil
2 tsp of castor oil
And if you would like 1 tsp olive oil 
Squeeze your avocado into a bowl and give it a really good mash! Seriously mash with all of your might. 
Same with the banana! MASH MASH MASH MASH MASH! Why am I stressing the mash? I may as well just cut to the chase here. This was hard to get out. You see people on YouTube with banana in their hair and washing it out like it's no big deal... They're lying. So, just be prepared. 
Mix together!
And add your oils. And mix mix mix again!
You can use a food processor if you like as well. I just don't own one and this is easier anyway. 
That being said, this is going to be a tad bit slimy and lumpy. Just do your best to smooth it into your dry locks. 
And this is what you come out with. 
I left mine on through my hour workout and then went straight to the shower to wash it out. 
   Now let's talk banana. I would suggest this mask for a night where you plan on pampering yourself. A time where you're willing to spend 20 to 30 minutes in the shower because the banana wants to stay in there. Rinse your hair for a couple minutes in the warm water, ad conditioner and massage through, then rinse again. Shampoo and condition like normal. I shampoo and condition first so I can leave my conditioner in throughout the rest of the shower. After the last rinse, and some picking, from what I could tell, all of the banana was out of my hair. I brushed through my hair and blow dried with the cool shot setting on the blow dryer (if you haven't tried this you should! It takes a little extra time though.) 

So was it worth it? My hair does feel softer and the damage is less noticable. If you're looking for a miracle, one use of this probably isn't going to be it. Where my hair definitely feels better, frizzes and split ends are still vizable. One really huge plus that I wasn't expecting though? My hair smells like a TROPICAL EXPLOSION! I use pretty bland smelling natural shampoos and conditioners so I know that it was the banana. I'm literally sitting here sniffing as we speak! 
So I am happy with the results? This should probably be used a few times to see actual improvement, my hair smells delightful, but definite pain in the tuckus to get out. Personally I think I might prefer this for a hydrating face mask but that's just me. 
Let me know if you've tried this out before, or if you were thinking about it and if this helped! 
Thank you so much for reading (because this was a lengthy one) I always appreciate it!! 
&>Chelcey

No comments:

Post a Comment